Potato, Rocket, Fennel & Almond Salad
- 1kg new season baby potatoes
- 150g blanched almonds
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons lemon-infused or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large fennel bulbs, with fronds
- 50g rocket
- 50g parmesan, shaved with a peeler
A smart twist on traditional potato salad that goes well with fish, chicken or pork-absolutely delicious!
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Spread almonds in an even layer on a baking tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes, stirring once, until just toasted.
- Set aside to cool.
- In a saucepan, cover potatoes with cold salted water.
- Bring slowly to the boil then gently simmer for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, place lemon peel, salt and pepper in a large bowl and whisk in the lemon juice then gradually whisk in the oil.
- Drain and cut cooked potatoes into halves.
- Toss with dressing and set aside to cool, stirring potatoes through dressing occasionally.
- Remove fronds from fennel, chop and set aside.
- Slice fennel bulbs as finely as possible (using a mandoline if you have one).
- Arrange in a serving bowl or on a plate with cooled potatoes, rocket and roasted almonds.
- Drizzle with any dressing remaining, sprinkle with chopped fennel fronds and shaved parmesan.
Warm Roast Potato Salad
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 1.5 kg small/baby/cocktail potatoes
- 5 slices prosciutto
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup whole egg mayonnaise (home-made is best)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp drained capers (chopped)
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley and fresh basil (chopped)
- Pre-heat BBQ on high
- Cook potatoes in boiling salted water for 15 mins or until just tender. Drain
- Put in large bowl and add prosciutto, oil, fresh pepper and sea salt. Toss
- Place on large foil baking tray
- Reduce heat to medium
- Cook with hood closed for 40 mins or until golden
- Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, capers and half the parsley and basil. Add potato mixture and toss
- Add extra olive oil and remaining herbs
Barbecue Chicken and Smashed Potato Salad
- 12 (about 600g) baby potatoes
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed, cut into 5cm lengths
- 4 bacon rashers, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125g) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup (60g) sour cream
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbs coarsely chopped tarragon
- 1 country-style barbecue chicken, coarsely shredded
- 4 green onions, trimmed, thinly sliced
- Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with plenty of cold water. Place over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Add the asparagus and cook for a further 1 minute or until bright green and tender crisp. Refresh under cold running water. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, add the bacon to a medium frying pan over high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, mustard and tarragon in a small bowl. Taste and season with salt and pepper and extra lemon juice if necessary.
- Use the palm of your hand to gently smash the potatoes. Place in a large bowl with the asparagus, bacon, chicken and green onion. Drizzle with mayonnaise mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and keep salad chilled until ready to serve.
Courtesy of Taste.com.au
Warm Salmon & Potato Salad
- 4 Red potatoes
- 2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 salmon steaks
- 100g green beans
- 50g baby spinach leaves
- 2 soft-boiled eggs, halved
- 20 pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs tarragon vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Prick potatoes 4-5 times each with a skewer. Place around the edge of microwave turntable. Microwave on high for 5-7 mins or until tender. Cover to keep warm. Slice when cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add salmon steaks, skin side down and cook for 3 mins. Turn and cook for 2-3 mins or until cooked to your liking. Flake salmon, discarding skin.
- Place beans in a bowl. Cover with boiling water and stand for 2 mins. Drain. Layer potato, beans, spinach leaves and olives into a serving bowl. Top with flaked salmon and egg. Drizzle with dressing and serve warm.
- To make dressing, whisk olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a jug.
Courtesy of Woolworths
Potatoes with Smoked Salmon, Horseradish Sauce and Watercress Salad
Preparation time 10 minutes
Cooking time 15 minutes
- 1 kg potatoes (new are ideal)
- 200g crème fraiche
- 2 tbsp horseradish
- Juice 1-2 lemons
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4-5 spring onions finely sliced
- 4-5 smoked salmon fillets (smoked mackerel or pan-fried Atlantic salmon can be substituted)
- 1 bunch of fresh washed watercress (rocket can be substituted)
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Add the potatoes, reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, mix the crème fraiche and horseradish, adding lemon juice and black pepper to taste.
- Drain the potatoes and leave to cool slightly. Halve or quarter if large. Add the spring onions and the salmon then stir crème fraiche mix until ingredients have a light coating. Toss in the watercress.
- Serve as a fabulous entrée or summer main.
Potato and Asparagus Salad
- 1kg Kipfler potatoes, washed, sliced diagonally
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 bunches asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 1 bunch white asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 1 cup fresh round mint leaves
- White balsamic mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white balsamic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125ml) vegetable oil
- Place the potato in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Cook for 15 minutes or until almost tender. Refresh under cold running water. Drain.
- Heat a chargrill over high heat. Drizzle potato with oil. Toss to coat. Cook, turning, for 5 minutes or until lightly charred. Add the asparagus and cook for 2-3 minutes or until bright green and tender crisp.
- To make the mayonnaise, process the mustard, egg yolk and vinegar in a food processor. With the motor running, gradually add the combined oil in a thin steady stream until incorporated.
- Arrange the potato, asparagus and mint on a serving platter. Drizzle with mayonnaise to serve.